Learn how to survive the closing of your friendly local game store (FLGS). Guest Aaron Bostian has tips based on his experience of his FLGS shutting down.
Support Jonathan through PATREON
Advice to survive the closing of your Friendly Local Game Store
- Communicate with one another. Social media can become your best friend.
- Look outside the box for gaming locations. Try someone’s home, bowling alley, library, yacht club, or VFW/American Legion/Church hall.
- Seek new players & new games. You don’t know what you will find nor where this will lead.
- Modify your gaming style. If you’re playing less than before, use your time to paint, to assemble, to research, or attempt other aspects of the hobby.
- Rearrange how you spend your wargaming money. Plan fewer trips to game stores further away. Buy online. Trade/swap with other gamers. Save more money to use for previously under-utilized areas of the hobby.
Via our Facebook page:
- Listener Denise said about Episode 138: Australian Wargaming with Joshua Shoobridge “Sending this [episode] to Wes in Canberra.”
- Listener Mike Paine said about Great Facebook Groups for Wargamers “Great show Jonathan. Thanks for the plug.”
I’m stunned and terribly saddened to hear of the passing of longtime listener Andrew. He helped to give the show the name Wargaming Recon. Andrew was a kind soul who selflessly gave of himself to help those around him. Despite being legally blind he taught children how to wargame.
Wargaming Recon has lost a good friend in his passing. I ask all listeners to join me in a moment of silence in Andrew’s honor.
Do You Like Wargaming Recon?
If you like what you hear and you use iTunes to get our content we ask a favor of you. Please consider reviewing us on iTunes & Stitcher Radio.
iTunes is one of the most popular ways for listeners to find podcasts. Why not help a potential new listener find our show and help grow the hobby?
Stitcher Radio is fast becoming a popular way for listeners to find great podcasts. Help a would-be listener find Wargaming Recon by leaving your review.
Don’t want to wait? Why not support Wargaming Recon through our Patreon. It costs just $1 per episode roughly $2 per month. That is less than a cup of coffee.
Dave & the Wargames @ BattleShades Facebook group
Wargaming Recon LIVE Page
Jonathan is recording Wargaming Recon LIVE for your viewing pleasure. You can watch the live streaming episodes through our brand new LIVE page.
It shows the live streaming recording, a calendar of upcoming live recordings, and it features a chatroom for you to chat with other listeners and with Jonathan!
Please visit our LIVE page to be an active part of the community.
12-7-Games.com was our sponsor for many years. They closed up show to focus on their other business. We thank Bill Dettmers and the entire 12-7-Games crew for their support over the years. This also means we need a new sponsor. Please contact me at email@example.com if you would like to sponsor the show or know someone who might.
NEW Affiliate Relationships
The Great Wargaming Survey is BACK! Click the picture above to take the survey. In 5-10 minutes you’ll fill it out, be eligible for some great prizes, and get 10% off your next purchase from Karwansaray Publishers.
You could be the winning bidder for this beautifully painted limited edition Battlegames Combat Stress Appeal model painted by listener Dave of the Wargames @ BattleShades Facebook group.
Episode Guide Tells You What’s in the Pipe
- We suggest Mobile Users to use Pocket Casts ($3.99 for iOS, Lite version is FREE). $3.99 for Android users.
- Read the Episode Guide for sneak peeks at future episodes.
Many thanks to Jeremy Kostiew, Troll ITC’s logo designer, for our amazing logo. Check out his portfolio at MightyNightGaunt.com
Penny for Your Thoughts
We hope you enjoy this episode of Wargaming Recon and welcome your feedback. Send it all to:
- Jonathan@WargamingRecon.com (Audio files welcome)
- Leave Voicemail: (347) 470-4263
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Find us on Facebook
- Stitcher Radio
- Send a Voicemail (free, you only need a microphone and computer).
This recording is licensed under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.