Kickstarter is a crowdfunding website that can help games to be produced, which would otherwise not see the light of day. Behind this image exists a danger that all wargamers need to be aware of. When properly handled Kickstarter can be hugely powerful for all involved.
Jonathan shares the good, the bad, and the ugly of Kickstarter. If we didn’t cover one of your favorite Kickstarter projects, then please share it with us on Facebook, Twitter, or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jonathan’s Kickstarter Backer History
- Cityographer by Inkwell Designs, makers of Hexographer
- Rogue Chess by Peter “Blix” Bryant of the Mythwits podcast
- Ambient Soundscapes Volume 2 for Tabletop Gaming
Bad Kickstarter Projects
- Torn Armor as covered by Meeples & Miniatures.
- Paladium Books’ Robotech RPG Tactics
- Comic artist BURNS 127 copies of his book aka sad pictures for children by John Campbell
Jonathan’s (Not a Lawyer) 5 Guidelines for Backing a Kickstarter
- Have a clear idea of your EXPECTATION. Determine if it matches what the project creator is doing.
- COMMUNICATE with the project creator BEFORE backing. This is the best way to ask questions.
- Only pledge when you KNOW the project creator, their work, or a respectable person you trust vouches for the creator and the project.
- Closely EXAMINE the Kickstarter project. Does it seem too good to be true? Is it unreasonable? Or impossible?
- Pledge no more money than you can afford to LOSE if things go sour.
From our Contact Us page an e-mail came about Henry Hyde’s Wars of the Faltenian Succession compilation ($5.99 USD, 3.5 GBP).
- Listener Johnny said “I’ve been intrigued since you first mentioned it over a year ago as separate articles, but I didn’t want to buy all those issues. This is great!”
We’re up to 9 ratings with an average score of 4.25 stars! Please take the time to REVIEW the show on iTunes. It helps others to find our show and it also helps to grow the hobby. Thank you to those who have rated and reviewed us.
Henry Hyde, editor of Miniature Wargames with Battlegames AND author of The Wargaming Compendium has released a new product. The Wars of the Faltenian Succession compiles his 12 part series (originally published in Battlegames magazine) into one PDF. It has color photos, live links to external websites and other pages in the pdf.
To further help Jonathan has a mission for each of you. He will make a donation to Combat Stress for every single sale he generates.
How does this work?
- BUY The Wars of the Faltenian Succession (3.5 GBP, $5.99 USD)
- Tell me you bought the compilation because I mentioned it on the show
- I make a donation to Combat Stress
Isn’t that easy? Three simple steps and every one of us wins. You get a fantastic product. Henry gets to see how much people like his work. Combat Stress receives donations from Henry and from myself.
After purchasing the compilation you will receive two e-mails. The first is a Paypal confirmation. The second one comes from Henry’s eShop with the actual file. The second e-mail may be delayed. It can take up to four days for Paypal to tell Henry’s eShop that you actually made a purchase. Henry is working on a fix.
Do You Like Wargaming Recon?
If you like what you hear and you use iTunes to get our content we ask a favor of you. Please consider reviewing us on iTunes.
iTunes is one of the most popular ways for listeners to find podcasts. Why not help a potential new listener find our show and help grow the hobby?
- Read the Episode Guide for sneak peeks at future episodes.
- Some mobile listeners have problems hearing the show with Apple’s Podcasts App. We suggest using a different app like Pocket Casts ($1.99 for iOS, Lite version is FREE).
- Subscribe to us on iTunes
Wargaming Recon belongs to the Troll in the Corner Podcast Network (TCPN). You may like some of the other shows on the network.
Indie Talks – bi-monthly on Wednesdays covering independent games, film, television. Includes many interviews. Hosted by Trollitc owner Ben Gerber.
Monsters of the Shattered World – monthly on the last Saturday. Story of a young scholar encountering strange animals on another world.
Promos for the TCPN podcasts appear at the end of the show. Many thanks to Jeremy Kostiew, Troll ITC’s logo designer, for the amazing logos. Check out his portfolio at MightyNightGaunt.com
12-7-Games.com Proudly Sponsors Wargaming Recon
Need gaming supplies? Please consider our sponsor, 12-7-Games.com.
BlueHost Affiliate Signup
I want to send out a special word of thanks to the folks behind the following domains that were used to create a new hosting account with BlueHost with my Blue Host affiliate link recently. As you know, I earn a commission each time someone clicks through my link to sign up with Blue Host. So thank you!
Accounts that were created recently:
– Why not get incredible web hosting for your blog, podcast, or website? Signup with BlueHost
Note: The fact that I have linked to these accounts is only to acknowledge that these folks have used my affiliate link to create a hosting account with BlueHost. These links are not an endorsement of any content that may be posted to these sites. If you ever recognize content blatantly offensive at any of these links, please let me know and I will be sure to evaluate and consider if the link should be removed from this post. These accounts are all brand new and may not be active yet. Also, it is possible that some of these domains were previously owned and my not have been transferred to BlueHost just yet.
Penny for Your Thoughts
We hope you enjoy this episode of Wargaming Recon and welcome your feedback. Send it all to:
- email@example.com (Audio files welcome)
- Leave Voicemail: (347) 470-4263
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Find us on Facebook
- Stitcher Radio
- Send a Voicemail (free, you only need a microphone and computer).
This recording is licensed under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.