5 Reasons to NOT Shop at Your Friendly Local Game Store.
- Tabletop Conquest Solo Wargame Overview
- 20 Questions: Wargamer Edition
5 Reasons to NOT Shop at Your Friendly Local Game Store
- The FLGS is NOT friendly
- The FLGS does NOT stock merchandise you need
- The FLGS is NOT local
- The FLGS does NOT support the hobby
- The FLGS is unsanitary
Read Back to the Keep’s blog article “Not so friendly local game stores” for more thoughts.
20 Questions – Wargamer Edition
- Favorite Wargaming period and why? 18th century, in particular the American Revolution. From a young age the American Revolution has held my interest. Living in New England helps since there is so much history focused on the Revolutionary War. The town I grew up in has the oldest wooden-framed house in American and less than an hour’s drive in any direction results in more history. Boston, the USS Constitution, Lexington, Concord, location where Suffolk Resolves was signed, and homes/birthplaces of multiple forefathers.
- Next period, money no object? Imperial Rome. I can’t wait to get my hands on Hail Caesar and lots of beautiful Roman legionary models. Of course, with money being no object, I’d purchase the most fantastic models and then pay to have them properly assembled and beautifully painted. That would leave me free to enjoy playing games instead of merely prepping for them.
- Favorite 5 films? In no particular order…Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, The Seven Samurai, The Godfather: Part II, Clerks., and Spirited Away.
- Favorite 5 TV series? Gilmore Girls, Firefly, The West Wing, GLEE!, and Keeping Up Appearances.
- Favorite book and author? Shogun by James Clavell. I love his Asian Saga. I’m also a HUGE fan of anything written by Bernard Cornwell. He’s a local boy…transplanted from England to Chatham.
- Greatest General? Can’t count yourself!! Tough one. So many good generals and even more bad ones. But, I’d say that the fictional general Toranaga based on the historical Tokugawa Ieyasu.
- Favorite Wargames rules? I’m loving Black Powder by the folks at Warlord.
- Favorite Sport and team? Ice hockey has my heart and I’m a Boston Bruins fan through and through. I also enjoy football…not American football. The real football.
- If you had a once use only time machine, when and where would you go? I’d go back to the night my godfather had his car accident, which left him a vegetable and ultimately resulted in his parents pulling the plug on life support. I’d convince him to not get in the car. I’ve no memories of him but, if successful, I’d get to grow up with him in my life. For a historical answer, I’d like to stop King Henry VIII from splitting England off from the Roman Catholic church.
- Last meal on Death Row? A triple helping of Lobster Mac & Cheese from the Main Diner AND homemade meatballs made by my Nana.
- Fantasy relationship and why? Ronald Reagan. I’d love to be buddies with him. Pick his brain. Get the inside scoop on the Cold War. “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!”-Reagan
- If your life were a movie, who would play you? It would have to be Michael Cera because he always plays the socially awkward teenager.
- Favorite Comic Superhero? Spawn. That is if you can call a hellspawn a superhero. Otherwise, I also like Iron-man and Captain America.
- Favorite Military quote? “Veni, Vidi, Vici”-Julius Caesar is a good one. OR, “I would rather he have given me another division”-Field Marshal Rommel on Adolf Hitler promoting him to Field Marshal.
- Historical destination to visit? Gettysburg, never been and always wanted to go.
- Biggest Wargaming regret? Never spending enough time to learn the rules of any game I’m playing. I always forget them eventually.
- Favorite Fantasy job? Professional podcaster. I’d love to put food on the table because of podcasting. Talking about games, being a geek, chatting with guests, publishing content.
- Top 5 Favorite Songs? I can give you my top 5 favorite artists easier than songs. Dave Matthews Band, Nirvana, Green Day, Alanis Morisette, and Franz Ferdinand.
- Favorite Wargaming Moment? The first time I attended Huzzah in Maine. It was magical to go to the con and play in such amazing games with such kind and friendly people. Going to Battleground Games in Abington for the first time is a close second. So many of my friends are people I met as a result of that trip to BG.
- The miserable Git question, what upsets you? I hate rules lawyers, people who don’t help others, a mess, unfinished business, slow drivers, humidity, communism, and death.
What are your’s?
Wargaming Recon belongs to the Troll in the Corner Podcast Network (TCPN). You may like some of the other shows on the network.
– bi-monthly on Wednesdays covering independent games, film, television. Includes many interviews. Hosted by Trollitc owner Ben Gerber.
– weekly on Thursdays covering geek life, movies, gaming, and more. Hosted by Jonathan J. Reinhart.
– monthly on the last Saturday. Story of a young scholar encountering strange animals on another world.
Promos for the TCPN podcasts appear at the end of the show. Many thanks to Jeremy Kostiew, Troll ITC’s logo designer, for the amazing logos. Check out his portfolio at MightyNightGaunt.com
12-7-Games.com Proudly Sponsors Wargaming Recon
Need gaming supplies? Please consider our sponsor, 12-7-Games.com.
BlueHost Affiliate Signup
I want to send out a special word of thanks to the folks behind the following domains that were used to create a new hosting account with BlueHost with my Blue Host affiliate link recently. As you know, I earn a commission each time someone clicks through my link to sign up with Blue Host. So thank you!
Accounts that were created recently:
– None right now. Why not consider Blue Host for your web hosting needs (affiliate link)?
Note: The fact that I have linked to these accounts is only to acknowledge that these folks have used my affiliate link to create a hosting account with BlueHost. These links are not an endorsement of any content that may be posted to these sites. If you ever recognize content blatantly offensive at any of these links, please let me know and I will be sure to evaluate and consider if the link should be removed from this post. These accounts are all brand new and may not be active yet. Also, it is possible that some of these domains were previously owned and my not have been transfered to BlueHost just yet.
Give Us Your Feedback, PLEASE
We hope you enjoy this episode of Wargaming Recon and are eager for your feedback (both positive remarks and constructive criticism). Send it all to:
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Audio files welcomed)
- Leave Voicemail: (347) 470-4263 (keep it under 3 minutes please)
- Find us on Facebook
- Xbox Live with gamertag cwfgamecast
- Stitcher Radio
- Send a Voicemail (free, you only need a microphone and computer).
This recording is licensed under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.